What is the difference between justice and revenge?

Discussion in 'Politics, Debate, Religion, etc' started by GrimClown, Sep 1, 2018.

1. GrimClown

GrimClown Death Head

Feb 12, 2018
    Male
    USA
    I will say right off the bat that I don't believe in the concept of justice, or at least that there is a real difference. The only difference that I see is that the word "justice" has a positive connotation while "revenge" has a negative connotation, and yet they both mean the same thing: eye for an eye.
    It is also my observation that when people use the word "justice" they tend to delude themselves into thinking that the use of the word automatically makes them the good guys. After all, who could be against justice? It is in this manner that some of the worst atrocity's ever committed were committed in the name of "justice"
    In the Soviet Union people were forced to surrender their wealth, property, and sometimes lives, all because the rabble believed it was "injustice" for one person to have more than someone else. All this led to war, mass famine and death and the eventual collapse of the Soviet Union.
    I am not a hippy saying we should "forgive our enemy's". In fact I do not believe revenge to be an evil. By using the word vengeance we are not drunk from our moral superiority of being "defenders of justice". That is my position on this issue. I am curious what DA thinks about the issue. Do you believe as I do, that justice is merely revenge rebranded and authored by the state? Or is there some sort of element that makes the person seeking justice better than the person seeking revenge?

M0N0L1TH1C_G0D likes this.
  2. XSFG

XSFG Jester of Death Addict

Jul 17, 2018
    Male
    NC
    I would say, that revenge clouds the mind and leads to arms and legs being chopped off while one is still alive where justice has established perimeters.

Hoar and Insane Irish like this.
  3. Insane Irish

Insane Irish Death Addict

Aug 19, 2018
    Male
    Retired Roofer/floorer
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Revenge is always personal.
    Justice is the consequences of your own actions/doing,
    To be used against you in either way.

kayLaLuna likes this.
  4. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Addict

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Revenge is another word for the “eye for an eye” philosophy. You fuck with my family, I’ll fuck with yours. Like Bloody Irish said, it’s a personal thing.

Justice is what happens when a mean, cruel, vile son of a bitch gets his comeuppance. A vicious bully gets his jaw smashed in AND is thrown out of his own house by his mother, that very same day. True story BTW, and this is justice as opposed to revenge.

Have you ever seen the film “Eye For An Eye” with Sally Field and Kiefer Sutherland? This is a cinematic example of revenge AND justice. Sometimes, they intertwine, and other times, there is a clear difference between the two.

Insane Irish and kayLaLuna like this.
  5. M0N0L1TH1C_G0D

M0N0L1TH1C_G0D Drawing Blood

Jul 17, 2018
    Male
    Confederate States of America
    Im a firm believer in revenge, there needs to be more free land in this world where you dont have to live by someone elses morals. It should be up to the people in the end not some almighty goverment or police force

Insane Irish, GrimClown and Shacov like this.
  6. Fa11n1

Fa11n1 Death Addict

Feb 5, 2018
    Male
    I.T.
    South America
    Justice is the perception of others weighing the evidence and circumstances without bias, passion or prejudice. Revenge is taking all that in your own hands.

Insane Irish likes this.
  7. M0N0L1TH1C_G0D

Jul 17, 2018
    Male
    That is the definition of justice but sadly our world isnt just, pedophilia and murder are two things that are very illegal yet the US government lets the elite get away with it constantly. Sadly we hold money at such a high value today that it can even buy you out of justice, revenge is the answer for when justice fails

Insane Irish and Fa11n1 like this.
  8. Fa11n1

Fa11n1 Death Addict

Feb 5, 2018
    Male
    I.T.
    South America
    Well @M0N0L1TH1C_G0D , it's not only US GVT. That practice is seen all over the world. Revenge is the ultimate statement of a fed up society

Insane Irish and M0N0L1TH1C_G0D like this.
  9. M0N0L1TH1C_G0D

Jul 17, 2018
    Male
    Ofcourse I know its wayyyy fucking worse in places like south america and china but im just referring to america because thats what affects me and im sick of hollywood scumbags getting away with it

Insane Irish and Fa11n1 like this.
  10. Fa11n1

Fa11n1 Death Addict

Feb 5, 2018
    Male
    I.T.
    South America
    We all are bro. I catch your drift

Insane Irish likes this.