Pre-Suicide markers in friends and coworkers?

In my 20+ year career, I've had 2 coworkers commit suicide, neither I worked closely with, but knew them as fellow team members.

In both cases, each person was behaving distinctly off in subtle ways in the days preceding their suicide.

One of them went through his last days at work with a blank 10000 ft stare, literally looking towards me and others but completely through us as if we weren't there, as if no one was around him. The other one developed a slow herky jerky gate to his walk, then he was sucking his last breaths of carbon monoxide fumes the next day.

Both suicides impacted me, and worse yet after the 2nd one died (years apart) I realized I noticed something beforehand but didn't act on it. Unbeknownst to me, the 2nd guy's wife of decades had just died after a many year battle with pancreatic cancer, and he was emotionally drained and devastated when she finally passed, they had fought hard to beat that cancer, but in the end it took both of them.

Has anyone else realized they noticed pre-suicide markers in people near them, but after that fact?

Purple People Eater

Death Head
Aug 19, 2019
In my 20+ year career, I've had 2 coworkers commit suicide, neither I worked closely with, but knew them as fellow team members.

In both cases, each person was behaving distinctly off in subtle ways in the days preceding their suicide.

One of them went through his last days at work with a blank 10000 ft stare, literally looking towards me and others but completely through us as if we weren't there, as if no one was around him. The other one developed a slow herky jerky gate to his walk, then he was sucking his last breaths of carbon monoxide fumes the next day.

Both suicides impacted me, and worse yet after the 2nd one died (years apart) I realized I noticed something beforehand but didn't act on it. Unbeknownst to me, the 2nd guy's wife of decades had just died after a many year battle with pancreatic cancer, and he was emotionally drained and devastated when she finally passed, they had fought hard to beat that cancer, but in the end it took both of them.

Has anyone else realized they noticed pre-suicide markers in people near them, but after that fact?
I was listening to music one night. then a knock on my door & flashing lights outside. Police were doing a welfare check on me because a buddy thought I was going to off myself. Why? I don't know why. Just being a jerk. Signs sometimes aren't signs.

My cousin drove off into the woods, put a black garbage bag over her head & shot herself. My mother said my cousin didn't believe people should own guns. She was 73. Her brother developed Parkinson's Disease; so I thought maybe she was showing signs of that & didn't want her life to end that way. But my mother said my cousin didn't believe in going to doctors.

My mother believes she killed herself because my mother told her she didn't want to learn Soduko. No one saw any signs except my mother who blames herself over this due to this silly Soduko thing. So, there you go. There was a sign. Sudoku.

So, there you go. There was a sign. Sudoku.
Sometimes there just aren't signs. People wake up one day, and they decide they've had enough. And people can be really impulsive at times, and occasionally impulsively self-destructive.

BTW, did you cuz leave a note? Black garbage bag over the head with a gunshot to the head seems more like an execution than a suicide. Sometime murderers don't like to see the face of those they kill as they kill them.