Music I hate

PaulNewman

Death Head
Feb 7, 2017
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
A lot of high-quality country music out there. Works better when fused with folk, rock, blues or punk.

The rubbish you hear on the radio is not "country" -- it's, well, rubbish. People have a bad impression of country music, BECAUSE the mainstream "country" is trash.

Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, James McMurtry. Phenomenal singer-songwriters, music that comes from the heart and soul. Robert Earl Keen is a masterful storyteller. Jason Isbell is such a fucking poet.

And there was such a thing as "cowpunk". It sounds corny and awful, but a lot of it is good. Jason & The Scorchers and Social Distortion qualify.

Only music I can't tolerate really, is mumble rap. Or "trap", whatever it's called. But mainstream modern country can be pretty grating to my ears.

PaulNewman

Death Head
Feb 7, 2017
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Matchbox 20 WAS great the first two albums. Then shit, and then Rob's solo albums. The one this past year: shit, bricked out, tinny, & sibilant. Marcy Playground were great for 15 minutes and gone, forever apparently
Yourself, Or Someone Like You. That song that Rob Thomas wrote himself; about his mother who was struggling with cancer (or something along those lines). 3 AM, and it must be lonely.

They WERE a solid band, but oozing "late 90s" all over. They should've disbanded by '02 or '03.

PaulNewman

Death Head
Feb 7, 2017
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Basically any band like Train, Matchbox 20 or whoever the fuck these guys are I just despise

It's music for thots that have "Live, Love, Laugh" on their bedroom walls.
Actually, I would do anything to bring back radio-friendly alt-rock from '98. Train's debut album was decent for sure, then they sold out.

Third Eye Blind, Eve 6, Tonic, Goo Goo Dolls.

Man..... coming of age in bumfuck Arkansas sucked, and tuning into a low-reception station out of Texarkana was a 50/50 battle. But when the skies were clear and the reception was strong, my day was made.