Iraq's Highway of Death (1991)

Mr Flotsam

Death Head
Sep 13, 2018
ADX Florence
, and ofcourse, the loss of all booty taken from Kuwait.
Yup; including Fire Trucks, Mercedes Benz cars, electrical fittings such as light switches and lamps that had just been ripped out of walls and ceilings, wads of cash, jewellery and hundreds of Kuwaiti Passports that their owners no longer had a use for.

Mr Flotsam

Death Head
Sep 13, 2018
ADX Florence
The break-up of the Iraqi military, security and intelligence services didn't occur until May 2003, but I agree that a fair number of high ranking Sunni military officers, especially from Tikrit (Saddam Hussein's birthplace) and Ba'th Party members formed the nucleus of an anti-coalition insurgency.

The fundamentalism of ISIL came later and adsorbed some of the remnants of the group.

Mr Flotsam

Death Head
Sep 13, 2018
ADX Florence
Fleeing Iraqis suffered a large number of deaths along with the loss of armored vehicles, anti-aircraft trucks and tanks that they were trying to get out of Kuwait, and ofcourse, the loss of all booty taken from Kuwait.
Epic posting; the black and white images are far superior to the color, in my opinion.

I'll mark the thread, and upload some of my own photographs in due course (it may be a while as they are in unpacked packing cases). As a bonus I'll take a photograph of an oil painting of Saddam Hussein, that one of his sycophantic Officers had painted in his bunker*, in the desert West of Highway 80, that I brought back.

*ISO containers buried 15 - 20 feet underground with looted desks, toilets, etc.

Last edited: